Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Darling Clandestine: Goldescale

I snagged a bottle of Goldenscale when DC had the preorder up for the second batch. I was lucky enough to get the slightly bigger bottle you see in this Facebook post. Hopefully I can order more scents from her at some point but for now let's just review the one I have.


Goldenscale: A pure absolute of green cognac grapes, drizzled with caramel, boozed with deep-toasted vanilla, tossed with crushed clove, spritzed with crisp apple juice, and then enweirdened with DarlingClandestine. The notes sound rich and gourmand, and Goldenscale does begin a bit like a vodka-soaked caramel apple, but as it unfolds it's not quite the foody sweetness you'd expect. It's fresher, mellower, stranger . . . enweirdeneder.
What it smells like in the bottle: boozy dark fresh apples
What it smells like on me: boozy and dark with just a hint of the apples

I can't quite put my finger on what this scent reminds me of and I think that is the point. It smells familiar but also different. I get the booze and the caramel with a slight hint of clove and apple. I think the vanilla deepens the caramel and the booze note so they are front stage on my skin. I really enjoy this scent, I like the boozy caramel smell it's deep and dark and inviting and it wraps me up in a warmth that settles my nerves. The only qualm I have is that I wish the apple came out a little more on me. The scent isn't overpowering and it has just the slightest hint of sweetness, but I wouldn't categorize it as a gourmand. Overall I see myself wearing it this fall. The throw seems to be medium-high and it lasts 4+ hours on me.

Side-note: My SO said it smells like a decadent candy, like something they would sell in a specialty shop.


No comments:

Post a Comment