Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Phantasmagoria Projection One: The Purple Lady of Salt Lake City


On February 6th Ten Three Labs released it's first mystery box, I was one of the lucky 50 to snag a box and I'm stoked I did because I am completely obsessed with everything paranormal and old ghost towns. This boxes theme is around a female ghost called Gloria or The Purple Lady and as you can guess it is full of all things purple! Let's not dilly dally anymore and get on with the review.



The first two pictures show the box contents paper, it is printed on a glossy paper and mimics aged paper which is an awesome touch. The next two photos are the story included in the box and the credits of everyone who worked on the box. The third set of photos features the items included in the box, which included some delicious huckleberry flavored salt water taffy YUM! and the amazingly lovely label art! I completely adore the art you guys Pookabit did a wonderful job especially with the eerie one on the blush. The final photo is a bonus picture of my lovely assistant Lacy my 6 month old Snorkie pup who kept trying to steal the taffy every time I turned my back. Now onto the stuff you guys really came here to see the swatches and reviews of the products!



We have three sets of photos, the first is inside without flash, the second is outside in direct sunlight, and the third is outside in the shade. All swatches are swatched with UDPP(Left), NYC Khol Liner Pencil in White(Middle), and on Bare Skin(Right). The Saucebox Sheen is swatched on Bare Skin and over TF Perfect Lips. From top to bottom we have;


Eyeshadows

Mezzazine Echo: Lilac with pinky brown sparks
Lip Safe!

This is such an amazing color, for some reason it looks kind of baby pink on my skin tone but in the jar it is a really light purple with a tiny bit of shimmer, I think you can kind of see a little bit of shimmer on both the inside with no flash picture and the direct sunlight one. As you can see the color really pops and becomes pretty opaque if you add a primer or white base underneath, I'll probably re-swatch once I get a sticky base to see if it makes a difference. If you want a more sheer look you can definitely use a tiny bit and then really blend it out. You might also be able to use this as a blush and it would make a gorgeous lip color.


Rio Grande Western: Vintage beige with pinky brown sparks
Lip Safe!

I love this color so much, on me it almost looks like a peachy gold and I just want to slather it all over my face! In the jar it looks a lot more light beige and you wouldn't think the yellow would pop like that. Again with the primer or white base it definitely gets more opaque and stands out more, but this one would be a little harder to make sheer than Mezzanine Echo. Again you might be able to pull off using this one as a blush and it would be a gorgeous lip color.


Gloria in Excelsis Deo: Dark violet with a violet glow, plus gold and green sparks
Lip Safe!

This is like an interstellar party and I want to be invited! In the jar it almost looks like a navy blue shadow with green sparkles but once you swipe it on your skin it becomes a rich dark blurple and I adore how good it looks over the white base. UDPP makes it more matte and it almost looks like a blue/black and on bare skin it just looks like a dull dark blue but you put it over a white base and you see the magic really happen, you get an amazing dark violet and you can actually see the violet glow, it honestly looks like a nebula in the middle of space. I completely adore the complexity of this eyeshadow and I love that it has three or more different looks that you can achieve just by adding a base underneath. If you see this in the shop I wholly recommend snatching it up as quickly as you can because this is an eyeshadow no one should miss! For obvious reasons this would probably not make a good blush, but it might make a gorgeous lip color.


Blush

Lovestruck: Neutral violet
Eye Safe!, Not Lip Safe!

From what I've heard about indie blushes I doubt you could overdo it with this blush, you could probably benefit from a second or even third swipe. On bare skin it is light and sheer, just a slight bit of color, on my skin it is a mix of purple and grey but with a base underneath you can see that it is a gorgeous violet color. UDPP makes it more matte while the white base gives it a bit of a sheen, I completely adore this as both a blush and an eyeshadow and will probably use it as both.


Saucebox Sheen

Lover's Spat: Dusty rose with violet, gold, and pink glow

On my skin and in the tube it is a gorgeous grey/pink, and over TF perfect lips it becomes a little darker but once I put it on my lips something happens and it transforms into a really light almost my skin tone shade. At first I thought it looked odd, and honestly it did but as I wore it over a couple of hours it grew on me. This isn't something I would wear all the time, but on those days I want to look like a spirit I can slap this on and scare the living. The formulation is to die for, it is nice and creamy and glides on with ease. I only have to touch it up a little bit after one swipe and it almost clings to my lips for dear life once allowed to settle. I literally ate biscuits and gravy and I saw little to no difference than when I applied it. I would say wear time without touch ups would be around 3-4 hours, although you may get different mileage because everyone is different. If Cara ever decides to add saucebox sheens to her store I would gladly pick up as many as she puts out because I completely adore them.


Salve Stick

Great Salt Lake: Salted caramel

This is probably one of the best lip balms/chap sticks I have ever used. Immediately upon swiping it on my mouth my lips drank up all of the nourishing oils and left my mouth feeling soft and amazing. I currently have been using Tokyo Milk Dark's Salted caramel which is a darker more coffee smelling caramel where to me the salve stick smells like Caramel Cotton Candy and I kind of just want to chow down on my salve stick but I know the smell and the taste are not the same so I will just smell it forever and use it on my lips until it is gone. I will definitely be getting more salve sticks in the future!


Scents

What Becomes of the Broken-Hearted: A soggy bouquet of forget-me-nots and violets left out in the rain, sweetened pomegranate, white grapefruit, may chang, and benzoin absolute
What it smells like in the bottle: water drenched flowers with a slight citrus note
What it smells like on me: In the beginning I can only smell citrus but as it settles it becomes sweeter and mellows into a wearable almost dead flower smell.

This is an interesting smell, especially since my skin ramps up the citrus before allowing it to mellow into a gorgeous scent. It really reminds me of this oil my mom used to add to her rainbow vacuum when I was a kid. I also get a smells like an older woman's house type vibe from it but it's not a bad thing more of just a I've smelled this before and it reminds me type of thing.  Overall I think this is a very wearable scent and it lasts a good 4-5 hours before fading on me.

Train Delay: A hot cup of Arabic coffee, a nice pipe, some mechanical notes, train smoke, and maybe a bit of blood on the tracks.
What it smells like in the bottle: Incense, coffee cakes, and a wood type scent
What it smells like on me: Incense, metal, coffee cakes, and a tinge of blood

I adore this, my boyfriend said I smelled like an old lady but I liked it. I smelled heavily of incense smoke but I could catch a few of the other notes. For the most part I kind of just wanted to sit in a room filled with incense smoke and eat coffee cakes, it made me feel warm and closer to my mom. I would wear this outside, but it is definitely a scent that takes a certain kind of person to love.

Overall I loved everything about this box, being a newcomer to indie and this being my first introduction to the world of indie it was a great sampler package of what indie is all about. I got to try perfumes and a blush that I may never have tried otherwise. The theme is lovely and I can't wait for the next one! I hope you guys enjoyed my little journey, don't be afraid to leave a little constructive criticism because I'm just starting out and I need all the help I can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment